This Traceroute Test service attempts to trace the route to an internet host by launching UDP probe packets with a small "TTL" (time to live) then listening for an ICMP "time exceeded" reply from a gateway.
The first probes starts with a "time-to-live" value of one, the next probe has a "TTL" value of 2 and continue to increase by one until we get an ICMP "port unreachable" (which means we got to "host") or hit a max, which defaults to 30 hops. Three probes are sent at each "TTL" value setting and a line is displayed showing the address of the gateway and round trip time of each probe. If the probe answers come from different gateways, the address of each responding system will be displayed. If there is no response within a 3 sec. timeout interval, a "*" is displayed for that probe.
- Include Traceroute Information
- Page Components
- Test Email Address
- SMTP server configuration
- Resend test message on error
Frequently asked questions
- What is the purpose of Traceroute information and how to activate it?
- What is a Ping?
- How do I know that your service works?
- Is your monitoring service guaranteed?
- Does WebSitePulse offer DNS monitoring?